Do I Need to be Concerned about Liposuction Scars?
One of the most common cosmetic procedures is liposuction, which involves removing deposits of fat from areas like the waist, abdomen, back, thighs, and upper arms. Patients achieve a tighter, more contoured body for enhanced confidence. While most patients love how their bodies look afterward, some individuals might experience liposuction scars.
At our Frisco, TX, practice, Dr. Ken Smart uses the latest surgical techniques and technologically-advanced equipment to minimize scars as much as possible. Additionally, he offers several forms of liposuction to help patients achieve their cosmetic goals. During a consultation, Dr. Smart explains the procedure in detail and lets you know what to expect after surgery.
Types of Liposuction
To meet the needs of a range of clients, our Frisco location offers several types of liposuction. Based on what you hope to achieve, we personalize a treatment plan specifically for you. Our office offers the following types of liposuction:
- Traditional Liposuction: With this procedure, the doctor uses a thin tube that is attached to a vacuum to remove stubborn fat from the body.
- VASER: This technique involves ultrasound waves that are delivered through a small probe to melt fat cells. Those cells are then suctioned out of the body.
- Smartlipo Triplex: This minimally invasive procedure works with an extremely small cannula and a laser fiber that is placed beneath the skin. The laser disintegrates the fat cells, which are either suctioned out or eliminated from the body naturally.
How to Prevent Scars
If you are concerned about liposuction scars, Dr. Smart might recommend the VASER or Smartlipo Triplex procedures since they are less invasive. With these forms of liposuction, the cannulas are smaller and target fat cells more precisely to minimize the size of incisions that can cause scars.
Patients who receive traditional liposuction in our office can still expect minimal scarring since Dr. Smart makes incisions in the most inconspicuous places. The surgeon also makes sure that the incisions are as small as possible to reduce the possibility of scars. Any visible scars should fade over time.
How to Minimize the Appearance of Scars
You should follow all of your surgeon’s instructions and keep all scheduled appointments at our practice to ensure your incisions are healing properly, and scarring is minimal. If your scars are more noticeable, the doctor can provide recommendations. Some of the most common include:
- Silicone Gels: Several over-the-counter silicone gels can help lessen the appearance of scars when applied regularly. The doctor normally recommends this option as the first choice.
- Microdermabrasion: This treatment can be used to remove the outer layers of the skin. Your doctor uses a special tool that applies a stream of fine particles over the surface of the skin to improve tone and texture.
- Chemical Peels: There are chemical peels of varying depths customized to meet your needs. The chemical is applied to the skin to remove the scarred tissue.
- Laser Therapy: The heat from a laser can be used to break apart scars. Additionally, the laser energy stimulates cell growth in the treatment area.
Schedule a Consultation
If you want to learn more about liposuction and see if you qualify for the procedure, please contact us online to schedule a consultation. You can also call us at (972) 334-0400.