Which Patients Are Good Tummy Tuck Candidates?
Most people would like to enjoy a flatter, firmer stomach. A tummy tuck, also called abdominoplasty, is a plastic surgery procedure that allows surgeons to eliminate surplus tissue from the stomach and tighten the muscles of your midsection. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, over 100,000 patients underwent this procedure in 2012 alone. At Frisco Plastic Surgery & MedSpa, Dr. Ken Smart regularly performs abdominoplasty to contour patients’ figures and boost their confidence. While many people are interested in having a tummy tuck, not everyone qualifies for this procedure. Read on to learn which patients are good tummy tuck candidates at our Dallas plastic surgery practice.
Who Can Benefit from Abdominoplasty?
A tummy tuck can help patients who:
- Have lost significant weight
- Suffer from stretch marks in their midsection skin
- Have excess skin and damaged muscles in their abdomen due to pregnancy
- Suffer from hereditary conditions that lead their abdomen to bulge
- Feel self-conscious about their midsections
- Have undergone a previous surgery in this area that has harmed the muscles or led to irregular tissue development
- Have stubborn surplus fat in their abdomens that has not responded to diet or exercise
Who Is a Candidate?
While many patients want to experience the advantages of abdominoplasty, you must meet certain basic criteria to qualify for this procedure. You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck if you:
- Maintain a consistent weight. Gaining or losing significant weight after your tummy tuck could interfere with your results.
- Do not plan to become pregnant in the future. Pregnancy can stretch your abdominal muscles and lead to weight gain in this region.
- Are a non-smoker. This harmful habit could increase your surgical risks and compromise your results. You may be able to undergo abdominoplasty if you agree to stop smoking for a prescribed amount of time before and after your procedure.
- Are within a certain percentage of your goal weight. Abdominoplasty is not a suitable substitute for proper nutrition or activity.
- Are in good overall health. Chronic, life threatening, or immune compromising physical issues could prevent you from undergoing surgery or healing successfully.
- Have realistic expectations about the potential outcome of surgery.
Your Initial Consultation
Dr. Smart will provide more information about abdominoplasty and decide if you are a good candidate for this surgery at your initial consultation. During this appointment, he will examine your abdomen, conduct any necessary diagnostic tests, and go over your medical records to determine if you are eligible for a tummy tuck. Next, he will answer your questions, address your concerns, and create a customized surgical plan to fit your needs. If you wish to proceed with abdominoplasty, you will schedule your treatment at the end of this visit.
Find Out More about Tummy Tuck Surgery
Abdominoplasty is a popular procedure that sculpts your midsection for a fitter, firmer look. To learn more about this treatment or schedule a consultation with Dr. Smart, contact Frisco Plastic Surgery & MedSpa today.