Improve Tummy Tuck Recovery with Compression Garments
By Kenneth Smart Jr. on April 28, 2014
After tummy tuck surgery, it is important to follow all of your surgeon's instructions, including wearing compression garments. Compression garments play an important role in the recovery process following tummy tuck surgery. Not only do compression garments offer support to healing tissue, they help reshape the body and speed recovery. Dallas plastic surgeon Ken Smart offers this overview of the benefits of wearing compression garments following tummy tuck surgery.
How Do Compression Garments Aid in Recovery?
Compression garments offer many benefits to the tummy tuck recovery process, improving results and aiding in healing. Some important benefits of wearing compression garments following tummy tuck surgery include:
- Reduction of Swelling and Bruising: Compression garments help reduce swelling and bruising typically seen after tummy tuck surgery. Compression garments apply even pressure along the abdomen, pushing fluids away from the incision sites, reducing swelling and bruising.
- Fluid Absorption: Compression garments also aid in fluid absorption. The body will naturally produce fluids during the healing process, and these fluids can increase swelling. By dispersing fluids away from the incisions, the risk of complications is reduced.
- Scar Reduction: Compression garments are useful for reducing the appearance of scars following tummy tuck surgery. Compression garments help scars to heal more smoothly as well as reduce the risk of developing hypertrophic or keloid scars.
- Tissue Support: Compression garments support the abdominal tissues as they heal, which can help keep incisions closed and tissues in place.
- Abdominal Re-contouring: By applying even pressure, compression garments help re-contour the abdominal tissue to its new position, giving a more slender appearance.
- Improved Appearance: Compression garments help hold the tissues in while the body heals, helping to give a more sculpted appearance.
How Long Should Compression Garments Be Worn?
Though each patient's recovery is different, in general, compression garments should be worn both day and night for three to six weeks following tummy tuck surgery. During the first three weeks, the compression garment should only be removed temporarily for such reasons as caring for incisions, bathing, or washing the compression garment itself. After three weeks, or until advised otherwise by your surgeon, compression garments can be removed at night but should still be worn during the day. After about six weeks, most patients are recovered enough to stop wearing a compression garment.
Find Out More about Tummy Tuck Surgery and Recovery
Whether you suffer from sagging abdominal skin due to extreme weight-loss or have post pregnancy pouch, tummy tuck surgery can be used to re-contour the stomach and improve appearance. The tummy tuck procedure is major surgery and as such, may not be suitable for all. Candidates must be healthy enough to withstand surgery and have realistic expectations regarding surgical results. To find out if the tummy tuck operation is right for you or to discuss alternative treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Smart. We look forward to helping you achieve your body goals.
Related to This
“I opted for the breast augmentation with lift along with a tummy tuck and now I look better than I did in high school!” T.C.